Over the past few years, criminals have begun targeting real estate transactions as opportunities for fraudulent activities. We're continuing to hear stories of these incidents on the rise, even targeting customers in the communities we serve. These resources will help explain the problem and educate you to lead a discussion regarding this topic. Even if you've already shared about this topic in your account, this might be an opportunity to share on this subject again.
- Timeliness: Urgent! Every office should be given this presentation.
- Expiration: 12/31/17, unless updated
- Criminals are hacking into the emails of real estate agents, title companies, and other parties involved in real estate transactions.
- The scammer sends wiring instruction changes to the customer that appears to come from a legitimate source.
- Consumers are losing their life savings.
- This scam is on the rise.
- We must all educate ourselves and do all we can to protect our customers.
New CNBC Video (11/19)
(This 1:43 video succinctly introduces the topic to kick off a presentation.)
Original NBC News piece that summarizes the problem.